Monday, February 14, 2011

First Birthday: Part I

Ok, I'm going to have to do this in two parts because Billy and I went a little crazy with the b-day festivities. It was truly a weekend extravaganza focused on the Max-man. We kept telling ourselves that making THIS big of a production for a birthday will only apply to first b-days, but I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to help ourselves. Our intentions were not completely altruistic -- I think we're kind of addicted to that little smile, that giggle and the way Max does not hold back when he expresses his excitement about something. We'll stop at nothing to get those things out of him and we succeeded on multiple levels this weekend.

Friday we took care of "year 1" business: doctor's appointment and haircut.
Dr. Kate said he's doing great. Better than great...he's way ahead of schedule on his development both cognitively and physically. She couldn't believe that he was already using the potty multiple times a day and that he has so many words and signs. She confirmed that we've got one very smart and big boy! There's nothing better than hearing that from your little munchkin's doctor.

Stats:
Weight - 26 lbs (90th percentile)
Height - 32 inches (90th percentile)
Pee-pee on the potty.

The next item of business to cross off the list was the first haircut. The haircut was necessary. In actuality it was necessary about 6 months ago, but I was holding onto those scraggly baby strands as long as I could. We practiced the haircut all week...I would hold up pieces of his hair and say "snip-snip", pretending to cut it, so he wouldn't freak the freak out when he was faced with the real scissors. He would just look at me and frown when I did it. I'm pretty sure Max thinks I'm a little crazy.

During the haircut he sat still the entire time and just stared at himself in the mirror. A few times he gave the stylist the same frown he gave me when we were "practicing" earlier this week. He proved once more that he's as cool as a cucumber in almost any situation. He never ceases to amaze us with how easy going he is. I wish we could take credit for it in some way, but its clearly just a part of his personality.
Before:

Really excited to be driving a car-car (I think it was actually a boat, though)
Bye-bye baby hair.
These looks are similar to the ones he was giving me all week. Confused and slightly annoyed.
After:

Hello big boy hair.
So Friday was all about taking care of business.
Saturday, we had our "family" birthday. Just Momma, Dada and Max. Billy and I made him a train table for his birthday. We had so much fun "secretly" working on it together for the past month. Lots of good memories made during the process :) I really love themes and stick ardently to them once I decide on one...so there was no question that we were taking Max to Fritz's for lunch, keeping with the train theme of the family party.

Max loved watching the train go around the track.
Train whistle.
When we got home we showed him his very own train!

Old garage sale coffee table turned train table!
He loved it and will hopefully enjoy it for years to come.
Part II will feature the big pirate b-day bash on Sunday. Stay tuned...and give me a couple days to wade through the endless pictures and video!  Here is a teaser photo...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment